Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I Can't Forget The Time Or Place... (or: an unrelated post)

I’m a baseball fan. This is true. I love the game. I can watch any teams play and enjoy it. There is no better way to spend an afternoon than just relaxing and watching a baseball game.

I grew up in the south and, therefore, I grew up watching the Braves. I remember when Chipper was a rookie. I remember when Andruw Jones hit those home runs in the 96 World Series at 19 years old. (see Harper? You’re not that special.) I remember watching the Braves win the World Series in 1995. (And lose every other year…)

My first Major League Baseball game was in the summer of 1996. My family was taking our usual trip to Iowa (yes, "Is the Heaven?" "No. It's Iowa" Iowa) and we stopped in St. Louis for a night. And it just so happened that the Braves were in town playing the Cardinals. And so my first face-to-face MLB experience was the Cardinals versus the Braves in old Busch Stadium in St. Louis. The Braves lost.

Fast forward ten years and you’ll meet 22 year old Callie Ann and her best friend JB planning an impromptu road trip for Labor Day weekend. We tossed around ideas of different cities but for whatever reason, we chose St. Louis. We said it was because it was a decent distance from Nashville and, of course, because the Cards were in town. Perhaps it was fate...

I hadn’t been to St. Louis in years (we eventually started flying to Iowa, praise God), but she welcomed us with open arms and an open Arch. (see what I did there?)

We stayed in the Huck Finn Hostel in a beautiful, historic neighborhood tucked just south of downtown called Soulard. We had a fantastic dinner at the hostel with people who were, literally, from all over the world. We walked into downtown for a blues festival on the riverfront. We found the most magical Catholic church and went to Mass, where the entire congregation knew we were newcomers and treated us like something close to celebrities. We bought standing-room-only tickets to the Sunday afternoon Cards/Pirates game.

We found a cozy little spot within a yellow “standing room” box, which was just spacious enough to sit in and still see over the heads of those sitting in front of us. We sat in left field, in the shade the entire game. Adam Wainwright pitched and Albert Pujols hit 3 home runs to left field. His fourth at-bat was a pop up to the left field warning track. Needless to say, it was an exciting game. 
one of our best decisions


If you follow baseball, you may remember that the Cardinals won the World Series in 2006 and Adam Wainwright saved an incredible series-winning game 5. That was also the inaugural season of new Busch Stadium. Just sayin...

Suddenly, my ever-faithful Braves heart was beating Cardinal red…

We’ve been back to St. Louis several times. Always staying at Huck Finn (yes, I do have “Huck Finn” saved in my cell phone) and always going to mass at Sts. Peter and Paul and lunch at Llywellyn’s. And, of course, catching a Cards game.

What does any of this have to do with me going to London this summer?

Absolutely nothing.

It’s hard loving two teams. Especially when I hardly have an opportunity to watch the Cardinals since I live in the south. And now that I live in Alabama, I live even farther from St. Louis.  

And I really do love both teams. As much as it hurt to watch the Braves give up the wild card last season, I couldn’t help but love watching the Cards chase it down. I still get a little emotional when I think about game 6, rally squirrel, and, naturally, David Freese.

So about a week ago, I said to myself “Callie Ann, you must go to Atlanta. You have to go see your two favorite teams play.”

And so, like Ray Kinsella in his cornfield, I listened to the voice.

I met up with my friend Beth and went to Turner Field. We went to Monday’s afternoon game. Seats behind home. Perfect weather. Hot dogs and ice cold Coca Cola. All in all, perfect afternoon. Cards won.

Note my attire. I am wearing a Braves shirt, but I show no favoritism. I also wore a Cards hat, which, somehow, did not make it into this picture. Its like a parent and his/her kids. I love them both differently but equally. (But I don’t have kids, so what do I know?)


Here's a shot I really like that Beth was gracious enough to let me take. 


I spent the night with my dear friend, Tiffany, and went to Tuesday’s game on my own.

And since I went on my own, I was able to get a really great seat right on the third base line. I thought this would be perfect, since I’d have a great view of both Chipper Jones and David Freese. Little did I know, neither would actually play that night. (Well, actually I did know Chipper had been put on the DL but I bought the ticket before they announced he’d be on it for another 15 days... whatever ankle injury.)








I did at least get this shot of Chipper out to catch the first pitch.





And there was a bright side to David Freese’s wrist issue… He was crowd friendly! I kept my eye on him during all of batting practice, because, well I’ll be honest. Not only is he a great ball player, he’s also 29, single, and real handsome. I mean… World Series MVP doesn’t hurt, either. So when he walked over to a small crowd to sign a few autographs, I made my way in with a new friend I’d made at the game. With our powers combined, Freese made his way over to us.

P.S. I’m watching David Freese bat in the top of the 9th right now. The Braves are winning 10-7. I’m nervous.

He struck out. Ball was inside, but whatever. Craig Kimbrel is pitching, so its pretty much over for the Cardinals. I mean, seriously, have you seen Craig Kimbrel pitch? 2011 World Series MVP versus 2011 Rookie of the Year. #cray

Anyway, here’s this. 

#thatswhatsup
Needless to say, I have a new desktop background.

Oh, and to tie all this in to London, I took this picture. From one Olympic stadium to another in a matter of a few weeks. #soexcited!


7 comments:

  1. My nose is pretty. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm... Just read your life goals and one of mine is go to Maine as well. Not kidding. Every presentation starting in college and beyond when asked what's something you want to do during your lifetime... go to Maine! (Write and publish a book is also one, but not many people put go to Maine on their list.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to go to Maine!! Someday, I'll make it there, but who knows when!

      Delete
  3. I remember the night the cards won the world series in '06. We were in St. Louis. Justin's sister got married that night and at the reception everyone was crowded around this little tv watching the game. It made a funny picture. It was exciting to be in the city even though we weren't at the game. Fun night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Etta, that is awesome. I remember watching that game, too, in Nashville. That would've been great to actually be in St. Louis. P.S. I miss you guys. But I'll see you guys again someday... in August...

      Delete
  4. #thatswhatsup Freeeeeeeeeeeeeese! (PS... he's still your profile pic) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is my profile picture. And I am okay with that. The deal was that I would change my desktop after a week. And I did. And now my background picture is of the Crown- Super Great Luau Great Luau style!

      Delete