Monday, July 8, 2013

Everybody Blogs… (to be read to the tune of “Everybody Hurts…”) Sometimes.


So I’ve said for years now that I wanted to blog. I literally journal everyday, so how hard could it be to do that online? Apparently, all kindsa hard. I’ve made several attempts to try.

Last summer, I studied abroad in London and part of the assignment was to blog about my experience. I thought “Great! This will kick start my bloglife. I’ll definitely keep going after this!”

I didn’t.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved blogging last summer and still enjoy the occasional browse through the ol’ girl. (which you can also enjoy by clicking here.)

But do you know what I enjoy more? Picking up my journal from last summer and thumbing through that girl, seeing the excitement or exhaustion through my own handwriting, flipping through ticket stubs, receipts, tube maps.

Something about the online format just doesn’t always do it for me.

But lately, I’ve wanted to give it another shot.

Not long ago, I started a job in the children’s department of a public library. And let me just go ahead and say that it is the greatest job in the world. I don’t care what you say, it is. I love it beyond words.

I am so blessed to be able to connect kids with books all day long, to have story time each week, to get paid to read children’s books, to never have overdue fines… you get the point.

I have loved children’s literature for as long as I can remember. I remember loving the sound of that mylar crinkling as I opened Charlotte's Web in elementary school. I love the smell of the decades-old pages just as much as the ones fresh from the printer. And to be able to surround myself with these stories, these lives, these old friends everyday AND GET PAID FOR IT!!!

Seriously, folks. Dreams do come true.

Why it took me so long to figure out that I am made to be a librarian? I can’t tell you. Honestly, in fifth grade I ran a library out of my cubbie. I am still a little pist at whoever spilled kool-aid on my best copy of Meet Molly. You better be glad I had another copy at home. But whatever…

The point is, as I read old favorites and discover new ones, I’ve found myself wanting to share these with more than just the patrons in my library. I want a platform from which I can review and recommend new and old titles alike. I want a way to share the many lessons I am learning every day. But most importantly, I want a venue from which I can share the ridiculous things that go on every day in your average pub.

And if you haven’t started calling your own local public library the “pub” yet, THEN WHY NOT??

So here it is. Here is my blog.

I invite you to meet me at the pub and hear the stories I have to tell. Read about the books I’m reading and the stories I am sharing. Hopefully you will discover something new or at least be entertained. If not, then why are you still reading this?

Geez. 

No comments:

Post a Comment