Monday, July 29, 2013

The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity by Mac Barnett


The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity by Mac Barnett, Illustrated by Adam Rex

photo from parnassusbooks.net
The Review...

Steve Brixton is fully prepared to become a real detective, just like his heroes Shawn and Kevin Bailey of the Bailey Brothers Mysteries. The Bailey Brothers Detective Handbook has taught Steve all he needs to know to catch goons and baddies, including how to set traps, find the best hiding spot and, of course, pull off the old “Flex-Your-Muscles-While-You’re-Getting-Tied-Up Trick.” But when Steve is assigned a report on early American needlework, there is no way he’ll be putting all his knowledge to good use… or is there?  Mac Barnett, a.k.a. Mac, has written a hilarious, action packed mystery, full of traps, chases, escapes, window jumping and, of course, badge carrying Librarians with a cause. The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity is a high energy adventure recommended for ages 8-12.

The Opinion...

So a few weeks ago I attended ALA and had a lovely, albeit brief, encounter with Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen as they were signing Extra Yarn. At my first day back and the Pub, I decided we’d have a Mac Barnett party in the children’s office. We took turns reading his books aloud to each other. And in the midst of my Mac Barnett party, I discovered the Brixton Brothers. How had I missed the fact the Mac Barnett had written a few novels?? Naturally, I immediately checked out the first one.

Clearly, Mac’s goal in this first book was to make every librarian ever immediately love him. It worked. As if he needed this. I mean, have you read any of his picture books? They’re funny, imaginative, chaotic and wonderful.

On the back of the book is a quote from Jon Scieszka calling this book the “craziest, funniest book you will read all year.” He might be right. I laughed out loud and gasped out loud multiple times. And at the point when Steve had solved the case, I laugh-gasped so excitedly I literally scared a few patrons.

Listen, Mac. Can we be friends and you tell me stories every day? K, thanks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment