Wednesday, July 17, 2013

On a Beam of Light: A Story of Albert Einstein by Jennifer Berne, illustrated by Vladimir Radunsky


On a Beam of Light: A Story of Albert Einstein. By Jennifer Berne. Illustrated by Vladimir Radunsky. Chronicle Books, 2013

photo from parnassusbooks.net
The Review

On a Beam of Light chronicles the life of Albert Einstein, beginning with his birth, his curious childhood and his even curiouser adulthood. Berne includes interesting details about this historical figure’s life, from his fascination with a compass as a child to his love of “saggy-baggy sweaters and pants” as an adult. Radunsky’s abstract, whimsical illustrations provide another layer to this simple telling of the eccentric Albert Einstein. An excellent picture book to introduce young, curious minds to one of the most famous curious minds of all time, On a Beam of Light is an asset to any children’s collection. This book is recommended for ages 3-7.

The Opinion

Let’s face it: Chronicle Books are just pretty. It’s almost guaranteed that if Chronicle creates a new journal, it will be purchased and added to my shelf of journals waiting to be filled. Chronicle just doesn’t aesthetically disappoint.

I really loved this book. The art is fantastic and the telling of Einstein’s life is just as lovely. I’d hoped that some of the illustrations were based on actual photos, so I did a little librarian research… Alas, google image came up short. I found no photos of three-year-old Einstein in a sailor suit. I did, however, find some of him riding a bicycle, playing violin, studying in a plaid suit, in his sailboat and, of course, smoking a pipe.

On the page describing his “saggy-baggy” fashion, a quote bubble over Einstein’s head reads, “My feet are happier without socks!” I don’t know if Einstein ever actually said this, but I certainly hope so. It’s a philosophy I, too, subscribe to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment