Monday, June 25, 2012

Pick Up My Bags, Run To The Station...


Today, Bonnie and I took off from Edinburgh on a train headed for Manchester. We got a bus that stopped a few blocks from the train station and dragged our suitcases those few blocks before spotting some other folks with suitcases. We followed those people down a ramp into a tunnel and suddenly a train station appeared!

I love when train stations are underground. Really, I just love it when an entire establishment functions underground, just below the surface. It just feels like a little hidden secret that I get to be a part of for a short time. Maybe it’s from my time at Disney, working at the Magic Kingdom and walking the tunnels everyday for work.

Anyway…

We got our tickets validated and waited for our train to arrive. Not long after, we boarded our train for Manchester and were on our way. We cruised through the British countryside and watched the sheep and windmills pass for a little while before drifting off into a nice nap.

A few hours later, we pulled into the Manchester Picadilly station, only to hop on another train because, turns out, we’re not actually staying in Manchester. Our hotel is in a smaller city just outside of Manchester called Altrincham. Try pronouncing that one. We can’t either.

We knew the hotel was somewhere near the train station, but we didn’t know the exact location. But do you know what was right across the street from the train station? The library! What better place to ask for a bit of helpful information!

The library was just about to close, but the two librarians were more than happy to point us in the right direction. I told them I was studying in the States to become a librarian and that I figured they’d be the best people to ask. They agreed and wished me luck!

A five (but felt like 50 pulling suitcases) minute walk later, we found the Cresta Court Hotel and got checked in.

We walked down to a local pub, George & Dragon, for dinner, as recommended by the lady at the hotel desk. She was correct in her recommendation. It was a great meal.

My dear friend, Miranda, asked me about the food here and I told her it’s been great and I realized I hadn’t really mentioned the food on this fancy blog. So for the record, we’ve had some really great meals.

George & Dragon served traditional English food. I had the fish and chips, of course, which was great. It was fresh and fried to perfection. And yes, I do love to drown the fish and chips in vinegar. It’s just so good. My mom had roasted chicken with a lemon glaze. Oh man, it was really good too.

Last night we ate at a local, family owned burger joint called Homemade Burger Company. And coming from a girl who loves a good cheeseburger, this was a good cheeseburger. Local beef on a fresh, homemade bun with a bowlful of fresh fried potatoes. Yum.

But the best we’ve had so far, and making it to my list of best meals ever, was Zizzi. I may have mentioned this the other night. The Italian restaurant? Bonnie and I started with the garlic and cheese flatbread and let me tell you, this stuff was amazing. Seriously. Melt-in-your-mouth kind of stuff. Then we both had the roasted chicken covered in ham in a white wine sauce, with roasted potatoes and green beans. All I can say is, I wish I could eat that every day for the rest of my life.

Or at least just once more. I’ve looked them up online. They’re all over Great Britain, but nowhere else. Don’t be surprised if I eat there several more times in the next 5 weeks.

Anyway, we’re back at the hotel and remember that time I mentioned that I don’t sleep here? Well it’s almost 1:00 am. Bonnie is asleep and here I am, writing to you all and watching Gameday on MLB.com. Let’s be honest, I didn’t sleep much in the States… maybe this isn’t a jet lag thing, so much as a Callie Ann thing… 

2 comments:

  1. I thought Zizzi sounded familiar... one of my Cambridge coworkers had her going away do there. It was so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a Callie Ann thing!

    ReplyDelete