Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Waiting To Take You Away...


In this, the year of 2012, the fiftieth year of the Beatles, I, Callie Ann Starkey, got to walk the streets that once belonged to and inspired the Fab Four.

Yesterday, Bonnie and I took the train into Liverpool. And due to a slight train/tram confusion, we got into Liverpool later than we hoped. And thanks to a kind police officer, a short underground ride, a helpful bus driver and tour guide, and a nice jog, we filled the last two seats on the Magical Mystery Tour.

No, seriously. By the time we got on the bus, we were both out of breath and sweaty. And we didn’t have cash to pay for it. The tour guide let us on anyway and let us pay at the end. If I hadn’t made it to that bus, I might have just sat down in the rainy streets of Liverpool and cried.

Have I mentioned that I’m a Beatles fan?

The Magical Mystery Tour took us all over Liverpool, seeing the childhood homes of John, Paul, George, and Ringo, as well as other significant places in their story: where they went to school, where they met, where Paul sang in the choir.


We drove down Penny Lane, where the bank still stands on the corner, and the shelter in the middle of the roundabout. The barbershop is even still there.

We saw Strawberry Field, which happened to actually be a children’s home.

The tour ended at the Cavern Club, where the Beatles played over 200 shows in the early 60s.

Needless to say, it was pretty great. Not only did I get to wander the streets of the Beatles’ childhood neighborhoods, but I was also really impressed with Liverpool. I’d definitely like to go back at some point and spend a few days exploring.

But for now, we’re in the Bath/Bristol area now, planning to explore Bath tomorrow, and already planning out the weekend in London.

P.S. Did I mention that my fingernails are painted yellow? As in, the submarine that we all live in…

1 comment:

  1. I want to live in a yellow submarine! With you in England! So glad you're having a blast!!! xo

    ReplyDelete