Monday, July 30, 2012

Back In The U.S. Back In The U.S. Back In The U.S... A?


Well, I’ve been back in the States for a few days now. It doesn’t seem real, but here I am. Watching the Olympics is weird because I kind of feel like I never left. It’s exciting, though, because I see buildings or parks and I know exactly where they are and probably walked by them just a week ago.

Its good to be back, though. I’m busy finishing up a few assignments (which will be posted soon) and catching up on sleep, which really means I’m being super lazy just because I can.

And I’m pretty sure that any weight I lost walking around Great Britain over the last 6 weeks, I’m gaining back quickly via 5 Guys, Mickey Mouse pancakes & bacon, loads of Dr. Pepper, and the roast and potatoes that are currently hanging out in the crock pot.

If you’re wondering whether or not I made it to the Opening Ceremony, well I’ll just tell you. I woke up early and made my way to East London and met with Bev, Kristen, and Brandy at the tube stop. After a long and twisty walk, and asking at least 3 different people for directions, we finally made it to Victoria Park.

Victoria Park is one of London’s many public parks and it sits about a half a mile west of Olympic Park. Inside Victoria Park, they (whoever they are) have set up three giant screens, a ferris wheel, a hot air balloon, and countless food stands and port-o-potties. Its one of a few parks in London with this set up, where Londoners can come watch various Olympic events over the next few weeks. And, its free!



So, even though the Opening Ceremony didn’t start till 9:00 pm, we got in line around 11:00 am to make sure we’d get in the park and have a decent view. We were actually really close to the front of the line and, at 4:30 pm, when they started letting people in, we set out our blankets right in front of the main screen. It was a perfect seat. Of course, once we were inside, we still had several hours to wait. The time went by surprisingly quickly and before we knew it, the sun was going down and the park was packed! The wind was cold and the excitement was electric.

I won’t relay all that happened in the Opening Ceremony because hopefully you’ve watched it and if you haven’t, then you should find someone who dvr’ed it and invite yourself over and watch it. Only you can watch the athletes’ parade in fast forward because it took forever. Although, it was really fun to watch it with people from all over the world in that park. Whenever their country was called, groups of people who stand and cheer and dance and yell. It really was such a great experience to be right there, in that park with the whole world, cheering and dancing and singing along to 

“Hey Jude” and watching the fireworks because we were close enough to see them without the screen!

So what it was 2:30 am before I got back to the hostel? So what I had to wake up at 5:30 am to get to the airport? So what I had an exhausting day of travel ahead?

It was absolutely worth it. 


Oh yeah! Here's my photo of the torch relay!


3 comments:

  1. SO AWESOME!!! Love that you experienced all of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No WAY! I'll just pretend I was there with you. Actually, I'll pretend I carried the torch. Have I told you that I've added that to my life To Do list? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think thats a great thing for your life To Do list. And I am confident that you will achieve it!

      Delete