Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Because The Wind Is High, It Blows My Mind...


So much to say in one day…

Today was fantastic. It really was just great!

We began the day at Primrose Hill, flying kites like Mary Poppins and the Banks children. We made it up to Primrose Hill to see a perfect view of the city. The wind was just right and our kites took flight. There was a group of young school children there and it was just funny to see them all sitting so nicely on the top of the hill while a group of grown-ups ran around like mad trying to get our kites in the air. We had several successful kites and kept them going for a while… until the rain came… as it does several times a day in London.

And when it rains, it tends to pour here. I’ve learned not to even leave without my raincoat, no matter what it actually looks like outside.

We reeled in our kites and began our hike to Regent’s Park. By the time we got to a good picnic spot, the sun was back out. We settled in for lunch and dried out. It turned into a truly beautiful afternoon.

We trooped into the heart of Regent’s Park through Queen Mary’s Garden and the Avenue Gardens. Our photo assignment for the day was flowers. And flowers there were! They were everywhere and so colorful and I couldn’t get enough of them. We have to choose one photo to submit to our Facebook site each day and it was a very tough decision. And since I had to choose just one for Facebook, I decided to post more on this blog.

These flowers were just so brilliant!









We got another downpour during our photo shoot. And this time it included hail. Here’s a shot of some of the ladies trying to take cover under a tree.



I was so focused on taking pictures, I didn’t notice a friend approach me until she just started talking to me. I turned to discover a lovely old woman I would’ve pegged in her late 70s. She began talking to me about all the flowers and how beautiful they all were. I couldn’t pinpoint her accent, but then she started telling me the names of flowers in Italian. She apologized for not remembering the English names. “I think you call that one a lily!” She asked where I was from and we started talking about her adventures in the States. “I left my heart at the Grand Canyon.” We even talked about Native Americans and what a tragic history they have.

I asked her how long she’d been in England and she said 65 years. “Wow” I couldn’t help but say. “Well, I’m 91 years old.” She replied.

What! Ninety-one! I couldn’t believe it. She started talking about how she was a sort of travel agent and was very successful because she has three languages. And, of course, she used the phrase “after the war”... which war, you ask? I didn’t ask. I just listened.

As our conversation was wrapping up, I knew if I didn’t take a picture of her, I’d regret it. So I asked her and she just waved her hand as if to say “you don’t want a picture of me!” But she took her hood off and ruffled her hair and smiled.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Palma. I hope I remember her for the rest of my life. And maybe when I’m 91, I’ll meet some youngster and tell her about the time I met Palma in Regent’s Park in London.


Well, the day wasn’t over yet.

We left Regent’s Park and made our way over to Abbey Road. We spent some time writing on the wall outside Abbey Road Studios, as everyone does, and we tried our best to get the classic Abbey Road picture. All twelve of us. As we were all lined up on the zebra crossing, an ambulance turned out direction and turned on the siren. We’re pretty sure they just turned it on because they could because they didn’t seem to be in any hurry. Nonetheless, it scared to lightning out of us, several of us squealed like children, and we took off at a run. And our teacher caught it all in a perfect picture that is far better than anything we could’ve planned. I’ve “shared” the photo on Facebook, so you should all have a look at it.

It was quite an adventurous day. Kites. Rain. Flowers. Palma. Abbey Road. Ambulance. Did I cover it all??

Oh yeah! Also, for class I’ve created my very first podcast! Figuring out this process was also an adventure. I’m glad I’ve learned how and I hope I have an opportunity to utilize this skill in a job someday.

So here it is, my first podcast:




The music used in the podcast is the "Prologue" from the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone soundtrack and "Weasley Stomp" from the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince soundtrack.

Goodnight, all!

P.S. Did you guys see that All Star Game??? Well, I haven’t actually seen the game yet, but how bout that National League!

No comments:

Post a Comment