Saturday, July 14, 2012

Get Back To Where You Once Belonged...


So I know I’ve written quite a bit about all the great things I’ve been able to do here and some of you may be wondering if I’ll even want to leave in two weeks. If you know me well, you probably know that it’s a very rare thing for me to feel homesick. And while I am loving absolutely every minute here, I am keeping a running list of things I miss. I mean, there are only 11 things so far, and most of those things were listed early on in the trip. Although, if I were to add every person I miss to the list it would be much longer. They are all summed up in one entry on the list.

I thought I’d let the world in on the things I miss most while in another country. In some particular order…

1. The Honda- Oh man, I love that thing. I haven’t driven in 3 ½ weeks. I mean, I know that’s not a lot, but when you drive everyday and you love your car as much as I love my Honda, it’s a big deal. And even though I’ve been here 3 ½ weeks, when I here the rain start outside I still immediately think “Are my windows down?!”

2. Chick-fil-A- Enough said, right? I told my parents already that when they pick me up from the airport, Chick-fil-A WILL be our first stop on the drive home. I’ve already looked up the closest Chick-fil-As around the Huntsville airport.

3. Dr. Pepper- Mostly a large, fountain Dr. Pepper. Hmmm…

4. My friends- All of you. The ease of calling or texting anyone, anytime. Sharing inside jokes. Dance parties in the middle of the night. etc. etc.

5. Google in my pocket- Mostly, the map on my phone. Man, I love that thing. I haven’t even had this iphone for a year, but I realize that I use the map all the time, especially in new cities.

6. My camera- I may have mentioned that my camera died four days before my mom and I left for Scotland. Fortunately, my mom had just bought a new camera and let me keep it, since photography is a huge part of this trip. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great camera. But I miss mine. You know, when it’s just yours.

7. Baseball- When I got here, Euro 2012 was going on so football was all anyone here thought about. Then, Wimbledon was happening when I got to London and every English eye was focused on that. And as much as I really do love sports, baseball will always be my favorite. And I miss it. I really do. Last  weekend, the Cards had day games, which meant they started around the time I was winding down, blogging and getting ready for bed. Did I stay up till midnight to watch the games on gameday on MLB.com? Absolutely. Did my dad dvr the All Star game so I can watch it when I get home? Absolutely. Am I planning to stay up tonight and watch the Cards/Reds on gameday? Absolutely.

8. Water Fountains- I’ve found more here in London than I did in the other cities I visited, but they still aren’t very common. I’m so used to water fountains being near any restroom and being able to fill up a water bottle several times throughout the day. I really miss water fountains.

9. My straightening irons- Yes, I said “irons” and yes, i miss them. I have two of them. One is tiny and perfect for short hair. The other is typical size and I tend to use it when my hair starts getting long and thick. I’m not exactly high maintenance, and I don’t actually use my flat irons very often, but my hair is getting super shaggy and when that happens, I just want to start playing with it. Either that or I start looking at pictures of short hair on Pinterest for hours at a time…

10. Ice- Fortunately, we have ice trays in the flat, but ice isn’t common in restaurants and pubs. Water or Coke usually has 2 or 3 ice cubes. Before I got to the flat, I thought about an ice cold glass of water on a very regular basis. Now, I can actually have it!

11. Making my own coffee- They love tea here. And I don’t. I don’t do tea at all. Not even sweet tea and I was raised in Alabama. I just want my coffee. Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of coffee shops around (my group did our video project on the coffee shops here), but I can’t afford Starbucks everyday at home. I certainly can’t afford Pret or Eve’s everyday here. Plus, I really love making coffee. I love smelling it and listening to it brew. I love my creamer and my own mugs. I miss coffee.

So there you have it. That’s my list so far. I’m sure the list will probably grow a little over the next two weeks. Perhaps I’ll give you an update.

For now, I’m going to watch Twilight. Why? Because it's on and it's hilarious. #TeamJasper

Referring to Edward Cullen…

Me: “He looks constipated.”

Emily: “He has constipation of the heart.”

P.S. Here's a picture of my dessert from tonight!

gelato!!


No comments:

Post a Comment