Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Love You Take...


Well, I guess its officially Olympics time here in London. Traffic is terrible. New signs are up everywhere. They’re making special announcements in the tube about how to get around and stay hydrated. And there are people everywhere with official-looking Olympic shirts and lanyards on. I don’t know what all these people will be doing around the city; maybe just hanging out and helping people find their way. They’re everywhere.

As excited as I am to experience the Opening Ceremony, I’m glad I’m getting out of here before the Games actually begin. Of course, there aren’t really tickets left for the Ceremony, (unless you have a couple thousand pounds to spare) but there are going to be screens set up in a few parks around the city where you can go and watch. I’m planning to meet a few of my FSU classmates to hang out in a park and watch together.

It’s weird being alone in London. I mean, I know my way around and I really do love sitting in the park with a book, but its just weird to be without the group at this point. Its crazy how close we all got in just three weeks.

Last night, I met up with two of the girls, Melissa and Brandy, for dinner near the Globe Theatre. It was a great, relaxing meal, but as Brandy and I hugged Melissa and crossed the Millennium Bridge, it still didn’t feel like we were saying goodbye.

One of the things I’ve loved about living in Tuscaloosa (rather than living elsewhere and doing school online) is that I’ve been able to develop a real sense of community with the people who’ll be my colleagues for the rest of my life, with people who are passionate about books and libraries and serving the people around them. Being here, doing this program, has only helped me broaden that community.

Some of them I may never see again. That’s just the truth. But others, I will. My community has expanded to New England, Florida, the Pacific Northwest, and many cities and small towns in between.

For now, I’m just wandering the streets of London like I own the place. I cut through sidewalk traffic like I’m in my Honda on the Interstate. I know the cheapest and best coffee shops and I know the coffee shops with free wifi. I don’t wait for the sign to turn green before crossing the street. And I know which stores have the coldest Coca Cola.

Even so… I’m ready to go home. I’m not sad or homesick, but now that the program is over and I’ve pretty much seen all of London, I’m ready to get back to my life. I’m ready to have a cell phone again just to hear the voices of those I love. I’m ready to eat Chick-fil-A whenever I want. I’m ready to get back to school and get into a routine. I’m ready to drive my car, any car. I’m ready to cut my hair. I’m ready to drink a Diet Mountain Dew, immediately followed by a Dr. Pepper, immediately followed by finding a bathroom. Speaking of that, I’m ready to not pay to go to a public restroom. I’m ready to have Noodles at Noon and flirt with Ginger Dreads. I’m ready to watch a baseball game and not just highlights when I wake up the next day. I’m ready to sleep in not a twin bed. I’m ready to wear all the clothes that wouldn’t fit in my suitcase.

And yet, I’m ready to plan my next trip… I’m thinking New York! 

1 comment:

  1. You better be thinking DC!!! But yes, NYC would be a blast!!

    ReplyDelete